Residents Register Law
The purpose of this Law is to determine how within the territory of Latvia the united system for recording residents - Population Register (henceforth - Register) shall work and how for the Citizenship and Immigration Department (henceforth - Department) shall be provided with the information which shall be included into the Register and how the information existing in the Register shall be used.
(1) Within the framework of their authority the Department and the Latvian diplomatic and consular offices in foreign countries shall be responsible for including the information in the Register.
(2) The usage and maintenance of the Register shall be managed and ensured by the Department.
The general purpose of the Register shall be to ensure the recording of Latvian citizens, Latvian non-citizens, as well as foreigners, stateless persons and refugees who have received permits for residing within Latvia, and in the procedure set forth in the law, to include and to constantly update the information about these persons.
(1) The including of the information in the Register shall be by the completion of a pre-recording document.
(2) The constant updating of the information shall be amending the information included in the Register by indicating the date of the amending, the legal basis and the number of the document which certifies these amendments, the date of issuing and issuing country or issuing institution.
Registration of Persons
(1) For including information about a person in the Register an individual personal code number shall be assigned to him/her.
(2) The personal code shall be assigned only by the Department. This is constant except in cases when the date of birth for the person is specified.
The document, on the basis of which the information about a person shall be included in the Register, shall be a special type of pre-recording form filled in by an employee of the Department and affirmed by the Head of he Department.
(1) The information about a person in the Register shall include that branch office of the Department within the territory of which is located the registered place of residence of the person.
(2) If the person does not have a registered place of residence within Latvia, the information about him/her in the Register shall include that branch office of the Department within the territory of which is located the place of residence within Latvia indicated by the person.
(3) Latvian diplomatic or consular representatives have the right to include in the Register information about a newborn child of such Latvian resident or non-resident who remains abroad for more than two months.
(1) An employee who includes information about a person in the Register has an obligation to check the conformity of this information with certifying it documents which have legal power within Latvia.
(2) The truthfulness of the information provided in the pre-recording form shall be certified by the person who provides the information by his/her signature.
(3) The truthfulness of the information regarding persons younger than 16 years of age as well as a person who is under trusteeship or guardianship shall be certified by the legal representative of this person.
The information in the Register shall be included in the Latvian language, except name, surname and the address of foreigners, stateless persons and refugees which shall be recorded in Latinized spelling in accordance with the traveling documents issued by a foreign country.
Information to Be Included in the Register
(1) In the Register shall be included the following information about a person:
1) personal code;
2) name (names);
4) original surname;
5) date of birth;
6) place of birth;
8) national identity and its type;
10) address of the place of residence registered within Latvia;
11) address of the place of residence within a foreign country;
12) information about the passport or an identification card which in the procedure stipulated by normative acts was issued as a document substituting for a passport:
a) type of the document;
b) number and series;
c) date of issuance;
d) issuing country and issuing institution;
e) term of validity;
13) information about registration of the birth:
a) number of entry in the birth register,
b) place and country of registration of the birth,
c) date of registration of the birth;
14) information on the birth certificate;
b) date of issuance;
c) issuing country and issuing institution;
15) information about residence permit in Latvia:
c) date of issuance;
d) term of validity;
e) issuing institution;
16) date when the person arrived in Latvia and the state from which the person arrived if the person is not a resident or non-resident of Latvia;
17) information about family status:
18) information on the most recent spouse;
19) information about registration of marriage, divorce or recognition of the marriage as non-existent:
a) number of marriage register code;
b) place and the country in which the marriage was registered or recognized as non-existent,
c) date when the marriage was registered, divorced or recognized as non-existent;
20) information about the document which certify the registration of the marriage:
a) the number of the marriage certificate or divorce certificate or the number of the civil case on recognition of the marriage as divorced or non-existent,
b) date of issuance of the marriage certificate or divorce certificate, the date and place of adoption of the court decision about divorce of the marriage or recognition as non-existent,
c) issuance country or issuance institution of the marriage certificate or the court decision about recognition the divorce of the marriage or recognition as non-existent;
21) information about children under the age of 16 years;
22) information about the father and the mother;
23) information about recognition of the person as incompetent or recognition of him/her as competent:
a) number of the civil case;
b) date and place of the adoption of the court decision;
24) information about emigration from Latvia:
a) date of emigration;
b) country to which the person emigrated;
c) date of registration of the emigration;
d) registration number of the emigration document,
e) institution for registration of emigration,
f) type, number, issuing country, issuing place and date, term of validity of the document the person emigrated with;
25) information about missing persons:
a) number of the civil case about stating the fact that the person is missing,
b) date and place of the adoption of court decision,
c) issuing country of court decision,
d) name of the court which adopted the decision;
26) information about deportation from Latvia:
a) number of the deportation order,
b) date of issuance of the deportation order,
c) date through which a re-entry prohibition is in force,
d) issuing institution,
e) country to which the person is deported;
f) type, number, issuing country, issuing place and date, term of validity of the document by which the person is deported;
27) information about a person's death:
a) date of death;
b) place of death;
28) information about registration of the death:
a) number of the death register record,
b) death registration institution and country,
c) date of registration of the death;
29) information about the document certifying the death of a person:
a) number of the death certificate, number of the civil case about declaring a missing person as dead, number of the civil case stating the fact about registration of the death or civil case stating the fact of the death of a person,
b) date of issuance of the death certificate, date of adoption of the court decision about declaring the person as dead, date of adoption of the court decision on stating the fact about registration of the death or adoption of the court decision on stating the fact about the death of the person,
c) issuing country and issuing institution of the death certificate or court decision.
(2) National identity, as mentioned in the first Part of this Article, is the connection of a person with a country which has issued or in the procedure determined by law will issue a passport or a document substituting for it to a person. The types of national identity in the understanding of this Law are:
3) stateless person;
(3) About the father and the mother, the last spouse and the children under the age of 16 years, if there is not information about them in the Register, the following information shall be included in the Register:
1) name (names);
4) date of birth;
6) national identity and its type;
7) date of death.
(1) If the parent of a newborn child has different national belonging, the information in the Register shall be included in compliance with the Citizenship Law.
(2) In the cases which are not regulated by the Citizenship Law or other laws the information about national belonging of a newborn child in the Register shall be included by taking into consideration the following provisions:
1) if on the moment of the birth of a child one of the child's parents is a non citizen of Latvia, but another - a foreigner the information about the national belonging of a child shall be included in the Register in accordance with the mutual agreement of the parents;
2) if on the moment of the birth one of the child's parents is a non citizen of Latvia but other - stateless person or is unknown, the national belonging of a child in the Register is a non resident of Latvia;
3) if on the moment of the birth of a child both parents are foreigners the information about national belonging of a child shall be included in the Register in accordance with the mutual agreement of child's parents.
(3) If the parents mutually agree about national belonging of a child to some foreign country their shall submit a document certifying child's national belonging.
In the Register about the person shall not be included the following information:
1) race or the color of skin;
2) religious belief or belonging to any religion;
3) political belief, belonging to some political party or movement or information about political point of view;
4) sexual preference or illness;
5) other information which is not required in Article 10 of this Law.
If some of the information included in the Register shall be changed, the new information shall be recorded without destroying the former.
In the event of the death of a person, him/her declared missing, his/her emigration or deportation the information about the person recorded in the Register shall be preserved.
Rights and Obligations of Providers and Users of Information
(1) The obligation of the persons mentioned in Article 3 of this Law is to provide the Department with the information about themselves for recording in the Register. The information about persons who are younger than 16 years of age or who are under trusteeship or guardianship shall be submitted to the Department by the legal representatives of the particular persons.
(2) If a citizen or non-citizen of Latvia resides outside Latvia longer than six months his/her obligation is to inform the Department (through a consular or diplomatic representative of Latvia) of his/her address within the foreign country as well as other changes in the information recorded in the Register about him/herself and own children who are younger than 16 years and about persons under his/her trusteeship or guardianship.
(3) The information which comply with the provisions of the first Part of this Article about newborn, still born and died during delivery children, shall be provided within two months after the birth of a child.
(1) For constant renewing of the information included in the Register, in the procedure determined by the Cabinet of Ministers, the information shall be provided to the Department by:
1) institutions carrying out the state authority and administration;
2) local governments and their institutions;
4) Latvian citizens or non-citizens who are residing outside the Latvia longer than six months (through the consular or diplomatic representatives of Latvia);
5) persons, about whom the information is included in the Register, if the information about their last spouse, children, father and mother are not included in the Register;
6) citizens of Latvia who are changing their national identity;
7) non-citizens of Latvia who are obtaining the citizenship of some other country (except Latvia).
(2) The providers of the information are responsible about providing the information to the Department in time and conformity of this information to the documents certifying it.
Information included in the Register, in the procedure determined by the Cabinet of Ministers, shall be passed out by the Department.
(1) A person has the right, once during the calendar year, to request and to receive free of charge the information from the Register about him/herself and own children who are younger than 16 years of age.
(2) The rights to request and to receive the free of charge information from the Register once during the calendar year about those persons who are under the trusteeship or guardianship have legal representatives of those persons.
(3) For every following request of such kind, in the procedure determined by the Cabinet of Ministers, from the person shall be collected the state duty.
Physical and legal persons can receive the information in the Register about other persons on the basis of the justified application.
If a registered person discovers a mistake or the inclusion of information prohibited by this Law within the information included in the Register about him/herself, his/her children who are younger than 16 years of age and persons under his/her trusteeship or guardianship, he/she has the right to demand that the mistake be corrected or the prohibited information be deleted from the Register.
Institutions, enterprises (entrepreneurial associations) and organizations as well as physical persons have the right to receive statistical information from the Register. The Department can also provide other information of a general character which does not permit the identification of a particular person.
The state authority and administrative institutions, local governments and their institutions, organizations and entrepreneurial associations to whom state administrative functions are delegated, as well as courts and the Procurator's Office have the right to receive from the Register that information mentioned in Article 10 of this Law corresponding to the authority of these institutions.
To the governments of foreign countries, as well as international government organizations and non-state organizations the Department provide the information included in the Register in accordance with international agreements concluded by the Republic of Latvia or in special cases, when such agreements are not concluded - in the special procedure mutually coordinated by the Minister of Foreign Affairs and the Minister of Interior.
By taking effect of this Law the law "On the Residents' Register" shall be recognized as null and void.
The President of the Republic of Latvia
Translation (C) by the Latvia Law Institute. All rights reserved. Other translation of Latvian laws available. E-mail: email@example.com